RV Insurance in Knoxville, TN
Recreational vehicles (RVs) can be an exciting and sometimes luxurious way to tour the country. Just like a standard automobile, RVs often require insurance coverage for adequate protection on and off the road.
What is RV insurance?
Recreational vehicle insurance is designed for motorhomes and trailers of various kinds. Similar to car insurance, RV insurance can help pay for damages to your vehicle and for those you may cause to another person’s property.
RV insurance can be tailored to insure traditional motorhomes, camper vans, coaches, travel trailers, 5th-wheel campers and others.
What does RV insurance cover?
RV coverage can vary depending on the insurer and specific policy; however, many standard policies include the following:
- Collision coverage can help pay for damage to your RV after colliding with another object or vehicle.
- Comprehensive coverage can help pay for non-collision-related damage to your RV, such as theft or vandalism.
- Liability coverage can help pay for damage you cause to others.
- Uninsured/underinsured coverage can help pay for your injuries, RV damages and lost wages if your RV is struck by another driver without adequate insurance.
Additional RV coverage you may consider include:
- Roadside assistance can help if you encounter issues on the road and need emergency help.
- Full-timer RV insurance acts similarly to homeowners insurance and is designed for those living in their RVs for six or more months.
- Vacation liability coverage can provide liability protection (i.e., covers injuries to others) when your RV is parked, such as at a campsite.
- Personal possession coverage can help protect your belongings within the RV.
How does RV insurance work?
RV insurance works like most other forms of personal insurance. You begin by assessing your circumstances and determining your coverage needs. Next, work with an insurance agent to find a policy that has what you need at a price you can afford. Pay regular premiums to the insurance company and, in turn, they will provide compensation for events covered under your policy, up to its limits.
Is RV insurance required?
Whether RV insurance is legally required can vary by location. In most states, RV insurance is required if the vehicle can be driven (i.e., motorized); however, other criteria may apply.
In Tennessee, RV insurance is required for motorized RVs; travel trailers and pop-ups that cannot move by themselves are exempt, but it’s wise to consider covering them as well. Applicable RV operators in Tennessee must retain state-mandated levels of liability insurance. Depending on your circumstances, your insurance agent may suggest purchasing higher liability coverage levels. They may also suggest obtaining additional protection, such as collision insurance, to help cover your own RV.
Beyond state-required RV liability insurance, RV owners may also need to obtain additional insurance if they lease or are still paying off their vehicles. Lending companies often require full coverage, in addition to state-mandated insurance.
Where can I find affordable RV insurance?
The professionals at Tennessee State Insurance are here to assist on your RV insurance journey. We have the expertise to assess your RV needs and provide an affordable quote. Contact us today to get started.