Auto Insurance in Knoxville, TN
Having the right auto insurance policy can help protect you financially if you are involved in an accident or your vehicle is damaged. An auto insurance policy is designed to provide you with a layer of protection against property, liability and medical costs following an accident. But choosing the right auto insurance can be overwhelming. Reach out to our agency today to learn more about auto insurance and find the policy that’s right for you.
Driving with peace of mind means having the right insurance coverage. At Tennessee State Insurance, we are committed to offering complete and affordable auto insurance solutions to the residents of Knoxville and surrounding areas.
Is Auto Insurance Required in Tennessee?
Tennessee drivers can meet the state’s financial responsibility requirements for auto insurance coverage by maintaining the minimum levels of bodily injury and property damage liability insurance.
By having at least these minimum coverage levels, drivers comply with Tennessee’s financial responsibility laws, ensuring they have some protection against the costs associated with a car accident for which they are found to be at fault.
Tennessee drivers can also secure a cash deposit, bond or self-insurance with the Tennessee Department of Revenue. However, these options are less common and may have additional requirements or limitations.
These minimums might not provide sufficient coverage in a severe accident. Many drivers choose to purchase additional coverage for greater protection. Always consult an insurance professional to understand the best coverage options for your specific needs and stay up-to-date with current state requirements.
Auto Insurance Options in Tennessee
Each driver has differing auto insurance needs. Your agent may recommend the following core coverages:
- Liability coverage may help pay for bodily injury and property damage to others if you’re at fault in an accident, up to the policy’s limits.
- Collision coverage may help repair or replace your vehicle if you collide with another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage may help pay for damage to your car caused by events other than collisions, such as theft, vandalism or weather-related damages.
- Medical payments (MedPay) coverage may help you and your passengers pay for accident-related medical or funeral expenses after a covered auto accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage may help provide coverage for drivers who don’t have adequate insurance to cover the costs of an accident.
What Do Auto Insurance Policies Cover?
Depending on the policy you choose, your coverages will vary. Here are some of the most popular coverages:
- Collision insurance—This portion of your policy helps cover damage costs if you are involved in a collision.
- Liability insurance—If you are at fault in a wreck, this type of coverage helps insure you against any damage you cause others. Most states, including Tennessee, require drivers to carry minimum amounts of liability insurance. There are two kinds of coverage included in liability insurance:
- Property damage liability—This coverage helps pay for damage to the other driver’s property (e.g., their car).
- Bodily injury liability—This coverage helps pay for medical bills and sometimes death benefits for the other person involved in the wreck.
- Medical payments (MedPay) insurance—This portion of your policy helps you pay for the medical bills of you and your passengers if you are involved in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance—This type of coverage helps you cover the cost of damages caused by someone who doesn’t have adequate auto insurance, specifically liability coverage.
- Comprehensive insurance—This portion of your policy covers damages that are not related to a wreck, such as theft, weather damage or vandalism.
There may be additional coverages that will be necessary based on your unique situation. Be sure to ask our agency how we can tailor your auto coverage to your needs.
How to Get Auto Insurance
Tennessee State Insurance is committed to helping you find a policy to fit your specific needs. Reach out to us today to start the conversation or to get a quote.